Wednesday 10 February 2010

Inspiration For Film Poster (Print Text 1)

After watching my film, I noticed some shots of me walking alone through Tweedale (During the sequence of the main character wandering alone) resembled the promotional poster for the film adaptation of 'I Am Legend', in that a lone character is walking down the middle of road in an abandoned urban landscape.
I always thought the 'I Am Legend' poster was captivating and appropriately advertised the film's content. I feel it has many features I wanted to incorporate into my own poster. The fact its the protagonist being the only person in the poster helps to establish who and what the film is about, and what kind of audience it is aimed at; obviously a male audience.
I feel I need to edit the colour of the still from my own film to a lighter more yellow colour as the sepia tone in the 'I Am Legend' poster gives a sense of death, like plants that turn yellow when they lose life, and the lack of diverse bright colours makes it seem more serious.

Another poster I will draw inspiration from is the '28 Days later' poster, pictured right, which also displays the lone protagonist characters walking through a deserted London skyline. I like how the extremely bright red background symbolises blood and gives the impression that the film will contain extreme violence and gory imagery. However, I feel this choice is too intense for my own poster, so will stick with editing the above still with a yellowier feel.
However, I really like the use of two massive eyeballs, which represent the infected humans positioned towards the top of poster, as they give the notion that the characters in the bottom of the photo are being watched and are therefore, unsafe.
Also, the diverse proportions of the eyes compared to the human figures at the bottom creates a more threatening feel, as if, whatever is hostile towards the protagonists is more dangerous and numerous in numbers than them.

Again, I want to incorporate a similar feature into my own poster, so I used this screenshot (pictured to the right) where one of the zombies is pouncing from the darkness onto a survivor. This is the main scary scene within the film, which is intended to shock and frighten the audience through its surprise. I am using this image to insert in my poster above the screenshot of myself walking in the empty streets, as it will look like some giant menace, similar to the yellow eyes in the '28 Days Later' poster, posing as a watching threat, that looks as if it will pounce on the character positioned below at any moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment