Wednesday 24 February 2010

Evaluation of Planning and its Affect in My Film

Although my story boards were to general on the scenes, rather than being specifying what each shot would display, I found it was sufficient enough as a guideline when I went out to film on location. I listed the different types shots that each scene would require, what music would be played alongside it and how it would be edited later on.
I had to carefully select which news reports I was going to incorporate into my film, as they were purposed to give the audience a gist of the storyline, when the actual reports where on entirely different subjects. I felt that I had chosen the appropriate clips and had edited them perfectly, so they were not misleading.
I decided to choose props that would look authentic and represent traditional horror film props. I decided to use a sawn off shotgun as one of the major weapons, as it is the stereotypical weapon used in almost every zombie film in the last few decades, which I decide to pay homage to. Also I chose short barrel gun after Terminator 2 inspired me, as if this choice of weapon would make my character to appear as macho as Arnold Schwarzenegger.
I originally choose I crowbar as my character’s melee weapon during my early planning as I felt it gave my character a more raw and gritty impression.
However I later changed it to a survival knife, as it was simple to make a fake knife that resembled my real one, and also because it was more practical, both to carry around and when using it with actors.
In the end I felt the knife worked just as well, and the fact I used both a fake (and real) survival knife, gave my character a more deadly look, and come across as a more professional survivor.
I also wrote my own short script for my radio news report, covering the zombie outbreak, read out by my friend in a North American accent. I felt this choice worked well in my film, as I played the report over a black screen, helping to build suspense, as the audience could not see what was happening, also the decision of an American reporter, aided in giving my film a Hollywood feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment