Monday 25 January 2010

BBFC Ratings

As my film will be extremely bloody, gory and generally scary I will have to consider what rating the BBFC will class it as it may affect the broadness of my target audience, which are male youths in general.

12A/12 –
Suitable for 12 years and over

Horror- Moderate physical and psychological threat may be permitted, provided disturbing sequences are not frequent or sustained.
Violence- Moderate violence is allowed but should not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood, but occasional gory moments may be permitted if justified by the context.

15 – Suitable only for 15 years and over
Horror- Strong threat and menace are permitted unless sadistic or sexualised.

Violence- May be strong but should not dwell on the infliction of pain or injury. The strongest gory images are unlikely to be acceptable.

After reading these boundaries, I do not believe my film should be rated any higher than a fifth teen. On the other hand some scenes I have been planning in my script are quite extreme, such as smashing a crowbar into a zombies face, which I may have to remove from the film or re-plan how they will be acted and filmed. However I am still unsure whether a rating of 12 is appropriate as the main theme of death, desertion and dead bodies in the opening sequences may be too disturbing even for young teenagers, so I believe a 15 is more suitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment